Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 102

Thread: Soul Calibur II

  1. #61
    Inactive Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    4,127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wiseman, you're starting to worry me...

    I enjoy playing as Cervantes, he's just a plain badass, but not as badass as Raph.

  2. #62
    Inactive Member Templar Zeratul's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well the game has been out for about 2 months and i've already made over 400 bucks on tournaments. In my final match in my last tourney I had to fight a HARD match versus a very awesome Astaroth player, but I won in the end. Its very fun playing with people who know what the hell they are doing ^^. No one can take Talim...muahahaha.

    I also play with Maxi, Yunsung, and Cassie (yes cassie)

  3. #63
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    WB Zeratul! BTW, please reduce that sig to 2 lines, it's cool but it's a whole post by itself!

    More on Soul Calibur 2:

    I think they made a fairly good job creating characters from different cultures and places, but they made some important cultural mistakes; here are some ones:

    - Raphael's music sound more like Spanish, same for his alternate costume, and it's not like I haven't seen libraries that look *exactly* like that in Spain. His face is not French-stereotypical, but not too Spanish either, and the French look very similar to the Spanish, so I'm not complaining here. But only the weapon - a rapier, his first costume, and his name, denote his French origins. I guess they mixed Spain and France with Raphael, but decided to make him French because Soul Calibur was lacking a French character.

    - Cervantes de Le?n (proper writing is with '?' not 'o') was born in Valencia... which is rather far from the region of Le?n, and was in a separate kingdom before the Spanish Empire was formed. It's rather unlikely that somebody by the name of "Cervantes de Le?n" was born in Valencia. Also, the name of Cervantes surely was chosen after a Spanish writer that was to Spanish what Shakespeare was to English. Would you name a pirate or a fighter "Shakespeare"?

    - This not an error, but a note of mine - Sophitia and Cassandra are Greek, look Greek, wear Greek clothing, and should be speaking Greek, although in they profile it says they are from the Ottoman empire (now turkey). This is correct, because the turks invaded Greece by that time (and they even stole the should-be-Greek city of Constantinople (aka Istambul) which they haven't given back to the Greek yet and I think the EU should be more considerate towards the good Greek and fight united to retake it). Anyways, just don't mistake Sophie and Cassie for muslims - they are cool Greek women.

    - Sophitia's Omega sword has some letters, but they are latin letters, not Greek letters! And I don't think what it says makes any sense in any language.

    - Rock's stage in Soul Calibur 1 is a colisseum, however he was born in London and lived in the British posessions in North America (now the USA).

    - Siegfried is Roman, however, in Soul Calibur 1 his stage looks like Venice - and Rock's colisseum would have fit. Moreover, he looks German and has Germanic names for him, his sword, and the castle Nightmare fights in...

    - I've heard that Hwang's name should have been "Hwang Seong-Kyeong" which is the proper spelling in Korean, not "Hwang Sung Kyoung".

    - IMO Soul Calibur lacks a German (if Siegfried is Italian), a Scandinavian, and a Russian character, and maybe an Aztec or Inca character.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 15, 2003 07:50 AM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

  4. #64
    Inactive Member Templar Zeratul's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    How about an african american!

  5. #65
    Inactive Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    4,127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree, that's the only thing they are lacking.

  6. #66
    Inactive Member Mr. E Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 12th, 2002
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by -Wiseman-:
    WB Zeratul! BTW, please reduce that sig to 2 lines, it's cool but it's a whole post by itself!

    More on Soul Calibur 2:

    I think they made a fairly good job creating characters from different cultures and places, but they made some important cultural mistakes; here are some ones:

    - Raphael's music sound more like Spanish, same for his alternate costume, and it's not like I haven't seen libraries that look *exactly* like that in Spain. His face is not French-stereotypical, but not too Spanish either, and the French look very similar to the Spanish, so I'm not complaining here. But only the weapon - a rapier, his first costume, and his name, denote his French origins. I guess they mixed Spain and France with Raphael, but decided to make him French because Soul Calibur was lacking a French character.

    - Cervantes de Le?n (proper writing is with '?' not 'o') was born in Valencia... which is rather far from the region of Le?n, and was in a separate kingdom before the Spanish Empire was formed. It's rather unlikely that somebody by the name of "Cervantes de Le?n" was born in Valencia. Also, the name of Cervantes surely was chosen after a Spanish writer that was to Spanish what Shakespeare was to English. Would you name a pirate or a fighter "Shakespeare"?

    - This not an error, but a note of mine - Sophitia and Cassandra are Greek, look Greek, wear Greek clothing, and should be speaking Greek, although in they profile it says they are from the Ottoman empire (now turkey). This is correct, because the turks invaded Greece by that time (and they even stole the should-be-Greek city of Constantinople (aka Istambul) which they haven't given back to the Greek yet and I think the EU should be more considerate towards the good Greek and fight united to retake it). Anyways, just don't mistake Sophie and Cassie for muslims - they are cool Greek women.

    - Sophitia's Omega sword has some letters, but they are latin letters, not Greek letters! And I don't think what it says makes any sense in any language.

    - Rock's stage in Soul Calibur 1 is a colisseum, however he was born in London and lived in the British posessions in North America (now the USA).

    - Siegfried is Roman, however, in Soul Calibur 1 his stage looks like Venice - and Rock's colisseum would have fit. Moreover, he looks German and has Germanic names for him, his sword, and the castle Nightmare fights in...

    - I've heard that Hwang's name should have been "Hwang Seong-Kyeong" which is the proper spelling in Korean, not "Hwang Sung Kyoung".

    - IMO Soul Calibur lacks a German (if Siegfried is Italian), a Scandinavian, and a Russian character, and maybe an Aztec or Inca character.

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ October 15, 2003 07:50 AM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font></font>
    <font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma">Raph is a mixture of European culture. He's from Fracne, has Spanish music and clothes, fights with Italian fighting style, looks German (or Aryan to be precise), uses an English Sword. So yeah, Raph is a mutt.

    Cervantes was made a Pirate with the name Cervantes because Cervantes is a kick ass pirate name, end of story, don't ever question the pirate again.

    Can't comment on Cass or Sophie because they're stupid girl characters.

    Rock is just simply hella out of place, end of story.

    Nightmare and Seigfried are German, well, they're the same character so yeah.

    ---B.j.
    That's all I really care to comment on.

  7. #67
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Damn, I've just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading the Taki's Boobies thread in gheyfags PS2 board; I was cured because it was caught early (before the end of the 2nd page and I hitted Alt+F4 compulsively), but please, remember me not to go to gfags boards when I like a game. I can figure out most threads, they are like this:

    Random guy: OMG OMG OMG Ivy has nice boobies!

    I don't have a problem with this, I'll leave up to Random guy why he's so excited about it.

    But then:

    Llama 1: OMG get a gf get a life LOL WTF
    Llama 2: STFU
    Llama 3: j00s ay Ivy's got big b00bz cos you've got no real lfie
    Llama 4: What 'bout you yar posting at the board 2
    Llama 5: WTF, get a life
    Llama 6: [Message deleted]
    Llama 7: -_-
    Llama 8: Voldo's crotch rulez

    and so on... wait I actually found 2 posts that make sense, and one of them was quoting Xellos'.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ October 17, 2003 08:14 AM: Message edited by: -Wiseman- ]</font>

  8. #68
    Inactive Member Templar Zeratul's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hahaha.....yeah I don't go to GheyFaqs for any game that I like or want to discuss strategy on. When I found a bad ass combo for Talim and I posted it to help the talim players, it got pushed down to the 2nd page in like 5 mins by "OMG TAKI NIPPLES!!!" and crap like that...so whatever...

  9. #69
    Inactive Member Xellos's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,598
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    Someone quoted me!? Lemme see the link! XD

  10. #70
    HB Forum Owner mrwiseman's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2002
    Posts
    8,915
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •